(Sorry so late, I got on the road at 3 AM and no one would wake up in the car so I could finish my reading…Karen Snyder checked in and thought I was missing, so I pulled over in Roanoke…and my laptop was dead! Oh the warfare is real)
Interesting mix of reading here…some you have always “skimmed” and some you have been learning since you were a kiddo (even if you did not grow up in church).
Chapter 4: Cain and Abel. All I can say right now is the reason I committed to this Bible read through is because I relate more to Cain then I do Abel. How sad my offerings have become. My time, my gifts, my money, my service….
6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”
A few weeks ago God grabbed me by the shirt collar and gave me this to chew on…
If anyone, then, knows the good they ought to do and doesn’t do it, it is sin for them. James 4:17
So let’s get to Genesis 5…your favorite! Have a pencil and your Bible in hand.
In your Bible, in this Genealogy, write the Hebrew translation above the names…
- 3 When Adam (Man) had lived 130 years, he had a son in his own likeness, in his own image; and he named him Seth.
- 6 When Seth (Appointed) had lived 105 years, he became the father[k] of Enosh.
- 9 When Enosh (Mortal) had lived 90 years, he became the father of Kenan.
- 12 When Kenan (Sorrow) had lived 70 years, he became the father of Mahalalel. 1
- 15 When Mahalalel (The Blessed God) had lived 65 years, he became the father of Jared.
- 18 When Jared (Shall come Down) had lived 162 years, he became the father of Enoch.
- 21 When Enoch (Teaching/Walking with God) had lived 65 years, he became the father of Methuselah.
- 25 When Methuselah (His Death Shall Bring) had lived 187 years, he became the father of Lamech. 2
- 28 When Lamech (Despairing) had lived 182 years, he had a son. 29 He named him Noah
- 32 After Noah (Comfort, Rest) was 500 years old,
Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow (but) The Blessed God shall come down teaching. His death shall bring (the) despairing comfort.
There are 2 people ever in history to be taken up to heaven by the Lord without dying…do you know them?? One was in this reading….
Noah. Even if you do not go to church, you may have heard of him. If you have gone to church all your life, know that you can read this story and still see something new. I think I have read this chapter a bunch of times and each time I am like “What??? that wasn’t in there the least time I read it.”
So during a time when people knew how to worship the Lord (proven in Cain and Abel), and their amazing lineage of faithful men who no doubt would sit around their huge families (think about how big these families were when they lived hundreds of years) and would share about Adam and Eve collectively messing up, and their dirty laundry of Cain being in the family. And although Cain had to suffer the consequences, God still blessed him with a family and a hedge of protection. I can just picture Enoch and Methuselah (lived 969 years) sitting around their talking and talking about sacrificing an animal to “atone” for our sins.
But Nope! Look for the words ALL, EVERY, ONLY throughout chapter 6. (I could go on and on…let me more on)
Chapter 6 & 7- So Noah, the man who is God knows as blameless (not perfect, righteous) is the only one on earth that when asked to do the unthinkable….HAVE FAITH, will obey.
So this man is asked to make a box (not a boat), a BOX. In this box you, your family will get in it (I will give you 120 years to get your box made and your bags packed). Oh, and you will share it with every animal possible (some in a set of 2, some in a group of 14).
6:22 Noah did everything just as God commanded him
FAITH! He didn’t tell him why or what was going to happen….till after Noah obeyed.
So my sweet Karen doesn’t have to give up on me today…I will post here and put some visuals of the Ark in tomorrow’s post (or one later today)