Only 2 chapters today people! Only an 8 minute read.
- Go Abraham! He must take vitamins.
- Abraham dies and even though EVERYTHING was left to Isaac, don’t miss that it says in verse 9 “His sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the Cave of Machpelah near the Mamre in the field of Ephron son of the Zohar the Hittite.”
- How cool is it that you can read a verse like that and actually say “ok, ok…I actually understand that Abraham bought that cave for a ton of money…his wife was buried there, and his descendants will inherit this land one day (after 400+ years BUT they will). Pretty stinking cool.
- Ishmael was promised 2 things:
- He will be the father to 12 rulers, sons (Gen 17:20)
- BUT, he will live in hostility toward all his brothers (16:12)
Jacob and Esau-
The Lord said to her:
“Two nations are in your womb,
and two peoples from within you will be separated;
one people will be stronger than the other,
and the older will serve the younger.”
- Interesting that this prophecy was given to Rebekah, and not Isaac (I don’t tthink she told him either)
- Esau mean “hairy”
- Jacob means “deceiver” “heal grabber” (better than butt grabber I guess)
Let’s talk about Birthright verse Blessing:
Birthright: Natural privileged of the firstborn son (today’s read)
- included a double portion of the inheritance from the father
- would become the head of the family
- would be in charge of the property
- would be in charge of the younger sons, any widows in the family, and unmarried daughters (were they ugly?)
Blessing: (tomorrow’s read)
- the blessing put you on a Covenant relationship with the Lord!
- a promise of divine protection through the nations to come
- whoever curses them will be cursed, whoever blesses them will be blessed.
So when we teach this to the little ones in Sunday school, the whole key to the lesson is following the Covenant! The Covenant gets passed Starting at Abraham…..Ends with Jesus. The deceitful act of stealing the Blessing is 10 times worse than taking the birthright.
Abimelek- (not the same guy, this is a term the kings in Caanan used for themselves)
God confirms the Covenant with Isaac directly….and then Isaac did the same “lack of faith” move- “She’s my sister!” Man, the apple didn’t fall far from the tree!