Due to the unprecedented circumstances of Covid-19, this will be hard to read today. I am NOT saying there is a correlation. As we read the rest of the Old Testament, we will see how God fulfilled what Moses said here. What I am saying is that you will see scriptures like 28:47 “Because you did not serve the Lord your God joyfully and gladly in the time of prosperity…” and it will hurt. It should. Our Country is failing.
Here we go.
“IF you obey the Lord…the Lord will…
- Your city and county will be blessed (v.3)
- Your children (fertility), herds, and crops will be blessed (v.4)
- Your needs (food) will be blessed (v.5)
- Wherever you go and whatever you do will be blessed (v.6)
- Your enemies will attack you from 1 direction, but you will scatter them in 7 (v.7)
- You will lend money to nations but never have to borrow (v.12)
- Your city and county will be a curse (v.16)
- Your children (fertility), herds, and crops will be cursed (v.18)
- Your needs (food) will be cursed(v.17)
- Wherever you go and whatever you do will be cursed(v.19)
- Your enemies will attack you from 1 direction, but you will scatter in 7 (v.25)
- They will lend money to you, but you will not lend to them (v.44)
These are all the blessings, but not all the curses. Moses lists about four times more curses than blessings. The lists of curses (in ancient documents) were typically longer and more detailed than the lists of blessings probably to stress the seriousness of violating the covenant. Israel was entering a very dangerous environment in Canaan, and needed strong warnings against the temptations they would encounter.
This might be a huge spoiler alert for some (sorry): After we are in the Promised Land for some time; the curses of disobedience will be literal. Read chapter 28 closely and you will see the Captivity at it’s worst. A quick summary of the captivity is after hundreds of years of God warning the Israelites to obey him, He finally takes His hand of protection off of them. He allowed the Assyrians and the Babylonians to capture all of them and take them OUT of the land completely. Here is a quick visual.
This captivity will be so severe that they will resort to cannibalism and eating the afterbirth. Then finally in verse 64 we will see the prophecy of the scattering “diaspora”. This will explain WHY Paul’s mission trips to find Jewish people are so far from each other.
Chapter 29! This is it! Moses Final Speech so read it closely (I am honest with you when I skim, so now I am telling you to hang on every word)
As the people stand in God’s presence to renew their allegiance to him ALL are included. Men, wives, children, servants…ALL. He renews the Covenant from Genesis 15 (Promised in 12), and warns them one last time about apostasy, hypocrisy, and rebellion.
For me: Verse 29:19 was the hardest to read for me. I have MANY people in my life that say that to me daily.