(Chapter 36 is a really fun read!!)
If you are feeling “lost” on Isaiah. I posted a “recap” video yesterday. Scroll down to it, it might help.
- We are currently in the Church Age (since Acts 2)
- Then we will have the Rapture of the Church (if you believe in a Rapture (I do)but if you don’t ignore that-all good)(Thessalonians 4:13-18)
- Then we begin a 7 year period of Tribulation
- Then Jesus will return to earth (called the 2nd coming) This will be the Battle of Armageddon. Satan will be tied up (literally) for 1,000 years.
- The 1,000 years of Peace is called the Millennial Reign
- After 1,000 years Satan will be released and there will be one final rebellion-he will quickly be defeated
- The final judgment will occur and a New Heaven and New Earth are created and we enter into eternity!
Chapter 36- Time to change the channel back to 701 BC.
After the Kindgom divided we have:
- 10 tribes-North called Israel
- 2 tribes-South called Judah
Israel is captured by Assyria
Judah will be captured by Babylon (in 150 years) Only Judah will survive and come back to Jerusalem because there is a covenant God must honor that He will bring a King through David’s Genealogy.
If you look at this map you will see Assyria is a major world power. The King of Assyria is Sennacherib.
(The King of Judah is Hezekiah. He was the really good king that restored the Temple!)
The other world power is Egypt. Well, Israel is stuck in the middle. So if world powers are going to attack each other….Israel best call on the Lord for help, right?
In the fourteenth year of King Hezekiah’s reign, Sennacherib king of Assyria attacked all the fortified cities of Judah and captured them. 2 Then the king of Assyria sent his field commander with a large army from Lachish to King Hezekiah at Jerusalem.
So when the Assyrian Kings went to Judah they gave a speech in verses 4-10. In summary they said…There is no deliverance in the Lord! Teaming up with Egypt won’t save you. You need to surrender to us because Assyria had the authority from God to attack Jerusalem. “The Lord himself told me to march against this country and destroy it.’”
The Assyrian army even said “C’mon fellas…we will even give you 2000 horses”. They instructed them to speak Aramaic so that everyone listening would understand what they were saying, even the people on the wall. Instead, the Assyrians address them in Hebrew making sure they can understand:
13 Then the commander stood and called out in Hebrew, “Hear the words of the great king, the king of Assyria! 14 This is what the king says: Do not let Hezekiah deceive you. He cannot deliver you! 15 Do not let Hezekiah persuade you to trust in the Lord when he says, ‘The Lord will surely deliver us; this city will not be given into the hand of the king of Assyria.’
I am unglued over this!
So now what happen???
Fun Fact: This story is true. How do I know? Because it is on your Bible. Ha!
It is also rerecorded on a clay prism that was found in 1830 in Nineveh, dating to 701 BC