If you missed the “Overview” from last night, it would help to read it. It helps to know why some of these topics are being addressed. Because Paul is about to teach about false philosophies in Colossae, he begins with the reminder that Jesus is Supreme above all. So even if you let some of that false teaching “in” and believe in superstitions, reading cards, horoscopes, the ‘elements’ like fire and water, remember: Jesus is Supreme and lords over all of it.
15 The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. 17 He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church; he is the beginning and the firstborn from among the dead, so that in everything he might have the supremacy.
Chapter 2…here we go: (this will make sense of you read the overview)
- 4 I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments. (he knows they are)
- 8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ
- .He forgave us all our sins, 14 having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross.
- 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind.
- do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings.
- 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
Chapter 3. What is the solution to the dilemma?
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
Set your HEART and your Mind on Christ.
Watch how the list of sins starts from the “outside” and works its way to the “core”, and then reverses.
5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:
- sexual immorality,
- impurity, lust,
- evil desires
- and greed,
which is idolatry.
8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these:
- and filthy language
AFTER that has been riddened (is that a word?) THEN
you replace it with, Christ will replace it with the fruits of the Spirit. (You have to pull the weeds from the garden if you want the flowers to grow)
clothe yourselves with
- and patience.
13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Ok, if I started cutting and pasting scripture we will be here all day….such GEMS in this book!! I would love for you to tell me which one you loved (or several!).
I read the final greeting. Such LOVE. It is hard to imagine that this was the guy that asked for permission to go have people in Damascus arrested just so he can bring them to Jerusalem to stone them….for following Jesus!!
9 He is coming with Onesimus, our faithful and dear brother, who is one of you. They will tell you everything that is happening here.
That is our segway scripture to the next book….Philemon.