(Overviews posted yesterday for both books)
Verse 4 states 2 reasons this book was written (although he wanted it to be a good letter, it isn’t). Jude says people have slipped into the church and have perverted the Gospel by:
- preaching a “license to sin”
- denying Jesus as Lord
Jude writes about groups of people:
The first set:
- The people saved in the Exodus-but through generations did not believe
- Angels- who rebelled when Lucifer did
- Those in Sodom and Gomorrah-gave into a life of sexual immorality-craved it
All three are destined for Hell
The next set: (Jewish Tradition has them categorized as “those that teach evil”
- Balaam- (He was the one on the talking donkey). He not only betrayed Israel, but he lured them into a trap (Num. 22)
- Korah- A Levite that caused an uprising against Moses and Aaron.(1 Chron 2)
17 But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18 They said to you, “In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires.” 19 These are the people who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.
Now Read 2 Peter who must have read this letter first.